Thursday, March 15, 2012

Preparing for Saint Patrick's Day

I have been trying to bring our faith "alive" for my children and I am so excited about the plans I have for this special day. It's only 2 days away!

Saint Patrick was an amazing saint that was captured by pirates and forced into slavery in Ireland. Lonely and afraid he turned to his faith in God. When he finally escaped captivity he became a priest and returned to Ireland to convert the pagans to Christianity. 

To start the day everyone will have to wear something Green in honor of the Irish. We will start the festivities with a bowl of Lucky Charms for breakfast. I have printed several coloring pages of Saint Patrick, Celtic crosses and a connect the dots shamrock. I also have some large foam Shamrocks that I will teach them how Saint Patrick taught the people of Ireland about the Holy Trinity.

Just like the leaves on each shamrock I see,
there are three parts to the Holy Trinity.
First is God the Father, then Jesus,
His only Son.
With the Holy Spirit,
together, they are Three In One.

I also reserved some books from the library that I will read during our story time including...

1. Saint Patrick and the Peddler by Margaret Hodges
2. Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland by Tomie De Paola
3. Book of Saints (Part 1) by Rev. Lawrence G. Lovasik, S.V.D.

I am hoping to purchase this kid-friendly movie Patrick: Brave Shepherd of the Emerald Isle or find somewhere to rent it.
Patrick - Brave Shepherd of the Emerald Isle [VHS]
I also think that I will make Irish Beef Guinness Stew for dinner along with some Shamrock cupcakes and ice cream floats.

I have some ideas I am still figuring out but I know at some point we will also pray Saint Patrick's "Breastplate" Prayer.

Well these are my plans for Saturday March 17.... Let's see if everything works out as planned... Does anyone else have any good kid-friendly ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment